The incredible story of Charlotte who was thought to be a terrorist because of her origins.
The document is an extract from a report entitled “Caught in the Backlash” from the ACLU, an association whose aim/goal is to defend individual rights.
The main character is called Charlotte Wu. She’s a 22 year-old sophomore who’s fond of videogames/ interested in videogames / who plays videogames all the time.
One day in late 2001, Charlotte played a videogame with her friends. Then she left the game. Later, a player phoned her and she helped him by telling him to use a bomb in the game. Then the police came to her room and interrogated her because of the call. They did not arrest her, but she wonders who alerted them.
We don’t really learn in the text the reasons why she left the computers and went home.
– Maybe she had a date with a boy. –> She may have had a date with a boy
– Perhaps she had to go home before the dorm was closed. –> She might have had to go home before the dorm was closed.
– Maybe she wanted to finish some homework for the day after. She must have wanted to finish some homework.
– She can’t have left because she was losing (since we can read she was the master of the game).
– She can’t have left because the game was over (since we can read…)
Charlotte’s friend phoned her because he wanted some help / tips about the game / because he was stalled/stuck. Since Charlotte is a whiz at videogames, she probably knows the game inside out / like the back of her hand and that’s why she was the one to call.